The "one stop" for people on the go
The "one stop" for people on the go

Additional Registry Services

AHCIP – Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) covers all eligible Albertans for insured hospital and physician services in Alberta. You should register for the plan, and always carry your Alberta Personal Health Card with you. Open the sections below for more information and links.

Are you eligible for AHCIP? Registration requirements

All eligible residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependants with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). If you are a new or returning Alberta resident, you must register for AHCIP coverage to receive insured hospital and physician services.

All eligible Alberta residents with appropriate documentation will be provided coverage.

Eligible residents

An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

  1. Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
  2. Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
  3. Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
  4. Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.

NOTE: Individuals coming to Alberta on visas or permits from Citizenship and Immigration Canada may be eligible for AHCIP coverage, depending on the type of immigration document they have, the length of time on the document and their commitment to reside in Alberta for 12 consecutive months.

When you move to Alberta from another province or country, there may be a waiting period before you become eligible for coverage under the AHCIP.

Non-eligible residents

Non-eligible residents include members of the Canadian Armed Forces and federal penitentiary inmates. These residents receive coverage from the Federal Government. Dependants of these non-eligible residents, who reside in Alberta, must be registered with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

Babies born in Alberta to a non-resident of Alberta are not considered residents of Alberta and are therefore not eligible for coverage with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.


Dependants are defined as:

  • Married spouses – must register together
  • Separated spouses – may register together or separately
  • Divorced spouses – must register separately
  • Adult interdependent partners – may register together or separately
  • Single children under the age of 21 and wholly dependent on the parent(s), including adopted children, foster children (if an income tax deduction was claimed) and wards of the court.
    • In cases of separation or divorce, the custodial parent registers the children.
    • In cases of joint custody, children are registered on the account of one or the other parent, but not both, as agreed to by both parents.
  • Single children who are 21 years of age or older and wholly dependent on the parent(s) because of physical or mental disabilities
  • Single children who are under 25 years of age and in full-time attendance at an accredited educational institute

Register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

Who should register?

All new and returning eligible Alberta residents must register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage to receive insured hospital and physician services.

Application processing

You are not covered for insured medical services under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan until all the required information is received and your application is processed. However, any medical services you receive and pay for before your application is processed may be reimbursed once you have your personal health care card and can show eligibility for the period when you received the services.

The effective date of your coverage will be determined based on the following:

  • If you move to Alberta from within Canada, your coverage begins the first day of the third month following the date you establish permanent residency here.
    • For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.
  • If you move to Alberta from outside of Canada your coverage begins on your date of arrival in Alberta, once all registration validation requirements are met.

If the AHCIP Coverage application is not received within 3 months of when you arrive and establish permanent residency in Alberta, the effective date of your coverage will be determined upon application.

Opting out of the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

Residents who choose not to be covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan must formally “opt out” of the plan. All dependants of an opted out registrant are also opted out. This means you or your secondary insurer (if applicable) will be asked to pay for all medical and hospital costs incurred by you or your dependants during the opt out period. Additionally, you will not be eligible for Alberta Blue Cross non-group coverage during the opt out period.

How to register for AHCIP – necessary documents

When you apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage, you must provide supporting documents that prove:

  • Alberta residency,
  • Identity, and
  • Legal entitlement to be in Canada.

If these documents are not provided, an application cannot be processed. Examples of acceptable documents are provided below.

What to bring when you register at an authorized registry agent office

  • Completed AHCIP Coverage application form. The application form is also available at either of One Stop Licence Shop’s locations in Red Deer.
  • Bring original documents to One Stop Licence Shop.

Processing time can take up to 5 days.

Acceptable documents to use when you register

  1. Alberta residency

Document must show name and current Alberta address, which must be the same as on the application –

  • Current Alberta driver’s licence
  • Current Alberta registries identity card
  • Current utility bills for an Alberta residence
  • A current pay stub, bank statement or lease agreement may be submitted as proof of Alberta residency as long as it includes your full name and Alberta address.


  1. Government issued photo identification

Document must be government issued identification (ID) which shows your photo, name and birth date –

  • Canadian/Non-Canadian passport
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Federal identification card
  • Current Alberta, provincial or territorial driver’s licence.


  1. Legal entitlement to be in Canada

Document must be ID which shows your name and birth date –

  • Canadian passport
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Canada entry document

Register or update information

You can register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan or update your information at either of One Stop Licence Shop’s two Red Deer locations for FREE.

Forms you need for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

AHCIP forms

Can’t open PDF form?

Important notice

Do not send information or forms by email – it is not secure. Fill in and submit your application:

to either of One Stop Licence Shop’s two Red Deer locations – Contact Us either in person or by mail.

If you need to apply for or make changes to your Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan information, use the appropriate form listed below. You can download, print and fill in by hand, or fill in on your computer and print. You can also get some of the forms at One Stop Licence Shop.

Register (apply) for a health care card

Update or make a change to your card

Group forms 

Note: To avoid using an outdated form, do not save a form other than for immediate use. Each time you need a form, check this page to ensure you use the most current version of the form.

We now offer Alberta Health Care Services
Click on the PDFs below to print your forms out before coming into the office:

More information

One Stop Licence Shop has provided registration definition as a general guideline only, for registration purposes. When completing a registration, the legislation requirements that govern each registration must be followed. For complex registrations it is advisable to consult a lawyer proper to registration to determine requirements and priorities.

One Stop Licence Shop can assist you with the following registration types:

Security Agreement
A security interest under the Personal Property Security Act, including leases for a term of more than one year, transfers of accounts or chattel paper and consignments.

Sale of Goods and Factors Act Registrations
A buyer’s interest in goods left in the possession of the seller

Writ of Enforcement
Document filed with the Clerk of the Court of Queen’s Bench. Registered with the Personal Property Registry to enforce a creditor’s interest.

Garage Keepers’ Lien
A garageman registers a lien against an owner’s vehicle for repairs, parts or storage for which he has not been paid

Matrimonial Property Order
An interest of a spouse given exclusive possession by a Court of a mobile home or household goods under the Matrimonial Property Act

Crown Charge
A lien, charge or other interest of the Crown created by any law in force in Canada

Land Charge
An interest in real property of a corporation that secures payment or performance of an obligation under section 59.2 of the Law of Property Act

Maintenance Order
An order or interim order of a court in Alberta, maintenance means maintenance, support or alimony

Railway Rolling Stock
A mortgage deed under section 63 of the Railway Act

Court Orders
Any order authorized by a court or statute

Attachment Orders
An order granted by the court prior to judgement, to attach to property in order to protect an interest

Receiver’s Report
A notice of a financial statement or final account of the receiver’s administration

Statutory Charge
A lien, charge, or other interest that affects property and is created under an enactment in Force in Alberta

Most interests are registered by completing a financing statement and submitting it to One Stop Licence Shop. Some interests can only registered by specific representatives as they are for distinct purposes. One Stop Licence Shop can provide more information about these interests. Some interests must be registered within specific time frames to satisfy time limits in the Personal Property Security Act and other legislation. You should allow adequate lead-time for processing if there are any legislative time limits for registration.

How registrations are handled at One Stop Licence Shop

One Stop Licence Shop will examine the financing statement. If the information is complete and acceptable for entry, One Stop Licence Shop will update the Personal Property Information System (PERPIS), at which time a registration number will be generated by the system.

It is very important that you make sure that the information on any forms submitted to us is accurate. A registration may be invalidated or its effect impaired by an error or omission that is considered to be seriously misleading. Seriously misleading information could mean that the registration would not be disclosed in a search result. Particular attention should be made in completing the description of debtor names and serial numbers.

A secured party has obligations to ensure there are sufficient grounds for registration and that the registration is made in good faith. A failure to comply with this obligation could lead to a claim by any person suffering damages as a result of such registration.

When your interest is registered on PERPIS, One Stop Licence Shop will provide you with a verification statement confirming the registration information as it was recorded on PERPIS. Check your verification statement carefully to make sure all information has been recorded accurately, if errors are detected, ask One Stop Licence Shop to have the error amended immediately. The verification statement can be used to renew or discharge your registration.

How to make changes to registrations

You make changes or corrections to registrations on the Personal Property Information System (PERPIS) by using a financing change statement or with a verification statement for renewal or discharge only, and submitting it to One Stop Licence Shop or corrections are only effective from the date that the amendment is registered on PERPIS. The changes that can be made to a registration are:

  • To renew a registration
  • To amend a registration by deleting and or adding information
  • To discharge a registration

Debtor, secured party and collateral information may be changed if the registration is current on PERPIS.

The crown, its agents, employees, or contractors will not be liable to you for any damages, direct or indirect, or lost profits or data arising out of your use of information provided in this site. The information is being collected for the purpose of Personal Property Registry Records in Copies of Alberta Statutes, Regulations and select government publications can be ordered from Alberta Queen’s Printer.

The following registrations can only be registered by Civil Enforcement Agents. For more information on these interests, contact your local Civil Enforcement Agency.

  • Attachment Orders
  • An order granted by the court prior to judgement, to attach to property in order to protect an interest
  • Report of Seizure
  • A registration under the Civil Enforcement Act authorizing taking possession of personal property
  • Sale of Seized Property
  • A registration under the Civil Enforcement Act authorizing sale of seized property
  • Sale Proceeds Distribution
  • A registration under the Civil Enforcement Act authorizing the distribution of monies received as a result of enforcement proceedings

Copies of all registered documents can be ordered through One Stop Licence Shop by faxing or e-mailing a completed Land Title Search Request form.

The document registration number must be provided to obtain the search.

Prints of registered plans can be obtained from One Stop Licence Shop by quoting the plan number. Plan copies are available on paper, reproducible film or in digital format.

Prints of the registered plans may also be ordered through One Stop Licence Shop.

One Stop Licence Shop can obtain a province wide search, view and download of registered plans of survey in TIF Image form. All survey plans of the province are searchable by either direct key in of the Plan number(s), by legal description (Alberta Township Survey – ATS) or geographically though viewing of the cadastral mapping of the province.


1 organ donor can save 8 lives
1 tissue donor can enhance the lives of 75 people

Coming Soon


Deprecated: Directive 'allow_url_include' is deprecated in Unknown on line 0