The "one stop" for people on the go
The "one stop" for people on the go

Vital Statistic Services

Alberta Vital Statistics maintain records of all births, marriages, and deaths that occur in Alberta. One Stop Licence Shop can process your certificate or document application. Alberta Vital Statistics will print your certificate or document, and mail it to you.


How to Order a Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates?

fb_img_1480543989223Birth, marriage, and death certificates are issued using the information from the original registration of birth, marriage, or death that was completed at the time of the event. If a record cannot be found, a search for a three-year period is carried out automatically and the applicant will be notified.

Who can apply for certificates and documents?

All records in the custody of Alberta Vital Statistics are confidential and can only be ordered by eligible individual who is eligible.

How do I submit an application?

If you are and eligible individual simply complete the Application for Certificate/Documents (pdf-340kb), and fax, mail or deliver it to One Stop Licence Shop.

How long does it take to process and application?

Once One Stop Licence Shop receives your application, it is processed and Alberta Vital Statistics usually has your certificate or document, in the mail to you, within two to three working days.

How will the document be delivered?

Documents are mailed to the address of the person who is making application, unless special arrangements have been requested. Contact us if you require your documents on a rush basis.

What kind of certificates are available to order?

Birth and marriage certificates are available in 2 sizes:

  • Small Certified (wallet size – 9.5 x 6.4 centimetres/33/4 X 21/2 inches)
  • Large Certified (framing size – 21.5 x 17.8 centimetres/81/2 x 7 inches)
  • Death certificates are available only in large certified (framing) size.

What if the event (birth, death or marriage) occurred outside of the province of Alberta?

Alberta Vital Statistics maintains a record of all births, deaths or marriages that occur in Alberta. Alberta Vital Statistics can only issue certificates and documents for events that occurred in Alberta.

If the event occurred in another province jurisdiction refer to the Out-of-Province Vital Statistic Office Listings for the address of the appropriate office location.

Marriage Licence
Before you get married in Alberta, you will need to purchase a Marriage Licence. One Stop Licence Shop‘s professional staff will be pleased to issue your marriage Licence.

The couple being married must present their marriage licence to the marriage officiate prior to their wedding.

A marriage licence is valid for three months from the date it is issued and is only valid to be married in the province of Alberta.

  • The Couple must apply together for their marriage licence.
  • The Couple must provide the marriage licence issuer with acceptable identification.
  • Applicants must be at least 18 years of age (persons under the age of 18 must obtain consent to marry. Consent forms for minors are available from One Stop Licence Shop).
  • If the marital status of either party to the marriage is divorced, copies of the final court documentation is required.
  • The Couple cannot be related by lines of consanguinity (close relation or connection). Federal legislation prohibits people from marrying if they are related linearly or as brother and sister, whether by whole blood, half blood or by adoption. Specifically: a woman may not marry her grandfather, father, grandson, son or brother. A man may not marry his grandmother, mother, granddaughter, daughter or sister.
  • Where either party are not fluent in English, they must provide a translator/interpreter who is over the age of 18 and is fluent in English as well as the language he is translating.
  • Where an applicant is mentally challenged notice must be made by the marriage licence issuer to the appropriate trustee or guardian.
  • There are no residency requirements; blood tests are not required.

In Alberta, do all name changes require the formal completion of a legal change of name?

No.  In some cases, there are other options.  It is advisable to contact our office with your particular situation before you begin. For example:

Married Last Name 
There are no legal requirements to change a name after marriage for a couple being married in Alberta. When a married person wishes to use a married last name, which is the spouse’s last name, they may assume just the last name or the last names combined, the order of the two names is optional. This is not a legal change of name.

Correcting (Amending) Information on an Original Registration 
In some cases, a change or correction to a person’s name does not require a legal change of name and may be changed through an amendment process.  See amendment sample.

In Alberta, are there any name restrictions when completing a legal change of name?

Yes.  The legal change of name application form provides some information on common restrictions and limitations that are frequently encountered.  It is advisable to contact us with your particular situation before you begin.

Who can apply for a legal change of name?

A legal change of name can only be processed in Alberta for residents of Alberta. The applicant must be 18 years of age or older.

How can I obtain an application?

All legal change of name forms may be obtained at One Stop Licence Shop.

How much does it cost to legally change a name?

One Stop Licence Shop’s fee to legally change a name is $146.25 (includes GST)

What kind of information is required to process an application?

Depending on the circumstances, presentation of identification, court orders, consents, dispensations, statutory declarations, proof of marital status or custody orders may be required. An individual may:

  • complete the forms themselves
  • seek legal councel to assist them with the form requirements
  • contact One Stop Licence Shop for assistance with the forms
  • Once the legal change of name application is processed, a Change of Name Certificate is mailed to the customer from Alberta Vital Statistics.
  • Additional Change of Name Certificates may be purchased through One Stop Licence Shop.

How do I submit an application?

An application for a legal change of name must be requested through our office. Applications mailed directly to Alberta Vital Statistics will be returned unprocessed.

Each year Service Alberta, the provincial department responsible for vital statistics, publishes a list of Alberta’s top baby names. It’s a favorite with parents who are attempting to choose the perfect name for their child. The list of most popular girl and boy names is compiled from the Registration of Live Birth forms completed by parents and processed by the department.

2015 Boys: Liam, Noah, Ethan, Benjamin, Lucas, William, Oliver, Mason, Logan, Alexander

Alphabetical list of all boys names in 2015

fb_img_14805440693192015 Girls: Olivia, Emma, Emily, Sophia, Ava, Chloe, Abigail, Ella, Avery, Amelia

Alphabetical list of all girls names in 2015

Top 25 Baby Names of 2015

Contact One Stop Licence Shop certificates and certified copies of

  • births that occurred less than 120 years ago
  • marriages that occurred less than 75 years ago
  • deaths that occurred less than 50 years ago
  • stillbirths that occurred less than 75 years

Contact the Provincial Archives Of Alberta for copies of

  • birth records that are 120 years old or older (from the date of birth)
  • marriage records that are 75 years or older (from the date of marriage)
  • death records that are 50 years old or older (from the date of death)
  • stillbirth records that are 75 years or older (from the date of stillbirth)
Deprecated: Directive 'allow_url_include' is deprecated in Unknown on line 0